Individual units of time in Toggl are called Time Entries. Each time entry contains information about the start and stop time, duration and the app used to track the time. Information such as the description, project and tags can also be added to a time entry.
In the example below...
- Copywriting is the time entry description
- Design is the project associated with the time entry
- EastForrest is the client associated with the "Design" project
- Antelope is the tag added to the time entry
- $ icon signifies that this entry is billable
- 30:03 is the duration of this time entry
Creating a Time Entry
Time entries can be created in any Toggl app in many different ways. Here are the primary methods of creating a time entry in the Toggl web app. Open the Timer page to get started.
- Using the running timer: Available when the Timer page is set to the Timer mode. Click on the green play button to start the timer or press N on the keyboard.
- Using Manual Mode: Use Manual Mode to enter time entries for activities after they've already happened. Open this article on Manual mode for more information.
- Continuing a previous time entry: Hover over an existing time entry on the Timer page and click on the continue button (the gray play icon) on the right side. Alternatively, press C to continue your last created time entry. Toggl doesn't have a pause feature. Continuing a previous entry is the closest thing in Toggl to pausing.
- Inputting a duration: When in Timer mode, click on the duration field and input a number. Also useful for tracking activities that already happened.
Tips and suggestions...
- For details on how to delete or edit a Time Entry, open the Timer Page article.
- Sometimes you may be working from more than one workspace and would like to manage where your time entries go. To control the workspace each entry goes into, always remember to select a project to assign to a time entry. Project-less time entries are assigned to your default workspace.
- Click on the running clock to adjust your start time.
- Click on the gray trashcan icon on the upper-right to delete a currently-running entry. The Undo option will show up briefly in bottom right.
- You can switch between the Timer and Manual modes by typing M on the keyboard when no specific field is in focus.
- To create a new project, select “Create a new project” from the Projects drop-down menu
- To create a new Tag, type the name into the search box and press Ctrl/Cmd + Enter.