Toggl Track Timer is a native app for iOS designed to help you track time while on the move. It will sync instantly with your Toggl Track account allowing you to seamlessly switch between tracking on the phone and tracking on the web or desktop.
NB! Unfortunately, we no longer support older devices (iPhone 5, iPhone 5c) as our app requires iOS11 or later.
This article covers:
- The Timer Screen
- Creating Time Entries
- Editing Time Entries
- The Wheel
- Manual Mode
- Siri integration
- Calendar view
- Frequently Asked Questions
Before you start...
The app will prompt for a login when first opened. If you already have a Toggl Track account, enter the same credentials. If you forgot the password, use the password reset page to regain access to the account.
A Google account can be used for registering or for signing in. If you have an existing Toggl Track account but can't sign in with Google, please check whether Google sign-in is enabled by opening the Profile page. For more details on Google sign-in, open this article.
The Timer screen
After logging in you will see the default screen of the app - the Timer screen. From here you can initiate actions such as starting a time entry, stopping a time entry, etc. The image below matches each icon with its function.
The Timer screen is divided into two sections
- "Working on these" suggestions - shortlist of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer for that entry.
2. The time entry log - chronological list of your time entries. Tapping an entry will open the Edit screen and allow you to modify it.
The app comes with two distinct gestures. Both can be performed on existing time entries. They are:
- Continuing a time entry (swipe from left-to-right)
- Deleting a time entry (swipe from right-to-left)
Creating time entries
This screen is opened after starting a new time entry by clicking on the green play button on the Timer page. The image above outlines exactly what each button within the page does.
When writing the description you can use shortcuts to quickly insert projects or tags. Use @ to define a project or # to define a tag.
When you're finished making changes tap the green checkmark in the bottom right corner to save them. Alternatively, tap the small X icon in the top left corner to discard the changes.
! By long-pressing the Toggl Track app icon a menu is revealed that allows you to quickly start a Time Entry or go straight to your Reports and Calendar:
Editing time entries
This screen shows up when editing both running and finished (past) time entries. Tap a row to change a specific part of the entry. From top to bottom:
- Start and stop times (opens The Wheel)
- Duration (opens The Wheel)
- Whether or not the Entry is Billable (available only on a Paid Workspaces)
- Delete Time Entry
! Remember to tap on Confirm Changes in the bottom-right corner once you’re done with editing. The X icon in the top left corner discards all changes.
This lets you set an Entry’s start time, stop time, and duration. Each turn around the wheel represents an hour.
Hold and spin the grey play icon around the wheel to set the start time. Spin clockwise to move it into the future, or counter-clockwise to make it earlier. You can do the same with the grey stop icon to change the stop time.
Hold and spin the grey area between the play and stop icons to change the start and stop at the same time. This lets you keep the Entry’s current duration constant.
Tap the middle of the wheel to type in the duration. Use the format hh:mm (for example, 1:30 is one hour and 30 minutes).
The start and stop times above The Wheel change as you spin items around.
Tap the < icon to the upper-left of The Wheel to discard your changes and go back. Tap Save to the upper-right of The Wheel to save your changes.
By default, the timer will start as you create a new entry. You can turn on Manual Mode in the app’s Settings to prevent this from happening. This makes it easier for you to add time later on.
When Manual Mode is on, the pink (purple) play icon on the Timer screen is replaced with a plus icon.
Pro tip: Hold the "play" button for a bit longer and it will open up a manual mode to enter your time entry. If Manual mode is the default mode, hold the "plus" button and the automatic mode will be triggered.
Access the Settings by tapping the cogwheel icon from the Timer screen. From this section, you can:
- Change the default workspace
- Select a different time & date format
- Change the duration format
- Set a different day as the first day of the week
- Turn on grouping similar time entries
- Turn on Manual mode
- Configure calendars for the Calendar view
- Turn on notifications for calendar events (reminders to track time)
- Submit feedback (contact Toggl Track Support)
- Sign out of the app
Open Reports by tapping the bar icon from the Timer screen (middle icon at the very bottom of the screen).
Reports on mobile still let you see a breakdown of your tracked Projects over a specific period. Please note that mobile reports are limited to your own personal time. For full workspace reports please log in to the web app.
Tap This week to select which dates the Report should cover. From here you can...
- Swipe the calendar left or right to browse through the months of the year
- Tap two different dates to set the start and stop of the Report period. Tapping on the same date twice will limit the period to one day
- At the bottom of the calendar is a horizontal list of presets that let you quickly specify a period of time. Swipe this left or right to look through all the presets, and Tap on any of them to apply it
- Tap below the dropdown to hide it
Note: Reports do not include time entries that are currently running.
The Toggl Track app allows you to use Siri for actions such as starting or stopping the timer. In other words, you can interact with the app without actually opening it.
Setting up Toggl Track and Siri
- Perform a few actions in the Toggl Track app (e.g. starting the timer, stopping the timer, etc).
- Navigate to iOS Settings >> Toggl >> Siri & Search >> Shortcuts.
- Tap the + icon next to the shortcut you want to create.
- Record the audio trigger for the action. If you're creating a shortcut for starting the timer, the audio cue can be "Start Toggl".
- Activate Siri and say the audio trigger defined earlier.
Note: It's normal for the action to take a few seconds to execute.
The calendar view allows you to see calendar events from the last 3 weeks. Those events can then be easily turned into time entries. Access the Calendar screen by tapping the calendar icon (the icon in the middle) while on the Timer screen:
The app will prompt you to connect a calendar when you first open the Calendar view. If you decide to connect another calendar in the future just tap the Settings icon in the top right corner.
List of available actions
- Tap a calendar event to create a time entry with the same description and duration
- Tap an existing time entry to edit it
- Tap the existing time entry and move it up or down to change its duration
- Tap and hold in an empty area to create a new time entry
Here's how your time entries look while in the calendar view:
To get the most out of the Calendar feature we recommend linking one of your calendars with the Toggl Track app. Here's how:
- Click on the cogwheel icon at the top right-hand corner
- List of available calendars will be shown
- Toggle the switch for the calendars you'd like to link with Toggl Track
N.B: The app will only access the calendar which the user selects (it will not have access to other calendars). You are able to switch Calendar feature off from the same Calendar Settings page.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm an existing user, why aren't there any entries on my Timer screen?
To keep syncing on mobile as stable as possible the app will pull only data from within 10 days of your last login. You might not see any data in the app if you haven't tracked time for a while. Open Detailed reports in the web app to review your past time entries.
How do I make changes to my projects from the mobile app?
Project management features aren't available in the iOS app. You can create projects, but can't edit them. To edit your projects connect to the Toggl Track web app and visit the Projects page. All your projects can be modified from there.
I'm only seeing calendar settings, how do I open regular settings?
Go to the Timer screen and then tap on the settings icon. When in the Calendar view, the settings icon displays calendar settings. Everywhere else, it opens the regular settings.
How do I enable dark mode on the mobile app?
This will depend on your iOS settings, if you've set Dark mode to be enabled, Toggl Track app will automatically have the dark mode. Otherwise, it will be in light mode.
If you enable the automatic mode, the app will change its appearance depending on the time of day.
Why are entries from my calendar not showing up in Toggl Track?
User calendars other than the default are cached by their providers and we can only read from the cache.
How is the "Working on these" section populated?
The "working on these" section shows you three items you can quickly start time entries from.
- Up to 1 machine learning suggestion,
- Up to 1 calendar entry for the next closest event,
- Up to 3 most used time entries.
Need further help with the iOS app? Feel free to contact our support team!