Toggl Track Time Tracker and Timesheet for Work Hours is a native app for Android designed to help you track time while on the move. It syncs with your Toggl Track account allowing you to seamlessly switch between tracking on the phone and tracking on the web or desktop. It is a companion app hence more complex actions like setting up or editing your data structure; using advanced reporting tools etc are accessible via Toggl Track’s web app.
This article covers:
- The Timer Screen
- Swipe and Undo Actions
- Creating Time Entries
- Editing Time Entries
- The Time Selector
- Manual Mode
- Syncing Data with Servers
- Frequently Asked Questions
Before you start...
The app will prompt for a login when first opened. If you already have a Toggl Track account, enter the same credentials. If you forgot the password, use the password reset page to regain access to the account.
A Google account can be used for registering or for signing in. If you have an existing Toggl Track account but can't sign in with Google, please check whether Google sign-in is enabled by opening the Profile page in the web app. For more details on Google sign-in, open this article.
The Timer Screen
After logging in you will see the default/main screen of the app - the Timer Screen which is divided into three sections:
1. "Working on these" suggestions - shortlist of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer for that entry.
2. The Time Entry log - chronological list of your Time Entries. Tapping an entry will open the Edit screen and allow you to modify it. Tapping the small "Play" button on the right side of each entry will start a running timer based on that existing entry.
! Use the green "Play" button to start a running timer.
3. Navigation bar - icons at the bottom of the screen allow you to access reports, calendar, and go back to the timer page quickly from any area of the app.
Swipe and Undo
The app comes with two distinct swiping gestures on the Timer Screen. Both can be performed on existing Time Entries:
- Swipe from left-to-right to continue a time entry
- Swipe from right-to-left to delete a time entry
After a Time Entry is deleted an undo option appears at the bottom of the screen and is available for 5 seconds, just above the navigation bar:
! Please be sure to use the "undo" option before it goes away, there are no other ways of reverting the delete action.
Here are the most important icons from Timer Screen:
Creating Time Entries
Press the green Play button to start your timer. A new screen is opened allowing you to add more details to your Time Entry (image in the above section outlines exactly what each icon within the page does).
When writing the description you can use shortcuts to quickly insert Projects or Tags. Use @ to define a Project or # to define a Tag.
To change the duration or start time of your entry tap the running timer in the bottom left area. This will open the Time Selector.
When you're finished making changes remember to tap the Done button in the top right corner. Alternatively, tap the X icon in the top left corner to discard all changes.
! By long-pressing the Toggl Track app icon a menu is revealed that allows you to quickly start a Time Entry or go straight to your Reports:
Editing Time Entries
When tapping on a running entry or a finished (past) Time Entry editing overlay opens up. Tap a row to change a specific part of the entry. From top to bottom:
- Make entry billable / not billable (available only on paid plans)
- Start and stop times (opens the Time Selector)
- Duration (opens the Time Selector)
- Delete Time Entry
! Remember to tap on Save in the top-right corner once you’re done with editing. The X icon in the top left corner discards all changes.
The Time Selector
Accessible when you create or edit an entry. The Time Selector has three places that let you set the start time, stop time and duration of an entry. Tap on each value to edit it or adjust the start and end time of the timer entry by moving the "play" and "stop" buttons along the cripple.
By default, the timer will start ticking as you create a new entry. If you prefer using Manual Mode, switch it on from the app’s Settings:
- click on the cogwheel icon in top right
- scroll to Timer Defaults section
- switch on Manual Mode
When Manual Mode is on, the green play icon on the Timer screen is replaced with a plus icon:
Access the Settings by tapping the cogwheel icon at the top right corner of the page:
Via Settings, you can...
- Change the default Workspace
- Select your preferred date format
- Select if you want to use a 12h or a 24h clock
- Select a duration format
- Set a different day as the first day of the week
- Group similar Time Entries
- Switch swipe actions on / off
- Running timer - displays an icon in the notification area whenever the timer is running
- Stopped timer - displays an icon in the notification area as soon as you stop the timer. Serves as a reminder to start tracking again
- Turn on Manual Mode
- Access Calendar Settings
- Submit feedback/contact Toggl Track Support
- Get help by accessing our knowledge base
- Find out more about the app and our PP and ToS
- Sign out of the app
Open Reports by tapping the bar-chart icon from the bottom navigation bar on the Timer screen:
Reports on mobile (< click on the link to see an example of how the report looks like) let you see a breakdown of your tracked Projects over a specific period of time. Please note that mobile reports are limited to your own personal time. For full workspace reports please log in to the web app.
By default, when you access Reports you will see data for the current week. Tap on ‘This week’ setting in the top-left corner to change the date range. Use one of the preset date ranges or select a custom date range. Tapping on the default date range a calendar tool will slide down along with the preset options:
From here you can...
- Swipe the calendar left or right to browse through the months of the year (swiping forward will not be possible if you are currently viewing the current month).
- Tap two different dates to set the start and stop of the reporting period. Tapping on the same date twice will limit the period to one day.
- At the bottom of the calendar is a horizontal list of presets that let you quickly specify a period of time. Swipe this left or right to look through all the presets, and tap on any of them to apply it.
- Tap below the dropdown to hide the calendar or swipe up.
! Reports do not include time entries that are currently running. You can only select max 365 days at a time.
To access the Calendar tap on the calendar icon within the bottom navigation bar:
This is how the Calendar screen looks like if you haven’t linked any calendars with the mobile app. It shows your existing Time Entries for the current day - like a single day timeline with blocks of time coloured by each time entry (chosen project colour is applied).
Click on an existing entry to reveal an action menu that allows you to edit, delete, or continue selected entry directly from the Calendar view.
By long-pressing on an empty calendar slot, another action menu is revealed that allows you to create a new Time Entry directly from the Calendar view.
To get the most out of the Calendar feature we recommend linking one of your calendars with the Toggl Track app. Here's how:
- Click on the cogwheel icon at the top right-hand corner
- scroll to "Calendar Settings”
- toggle “Link Calendars” switch
- a popup will open allowing you to choose which calendar(s) you'd like to sync with the app. Tick the one(s) you wish to link.
- tap on the back arrow in the top left to finish the setup
! You are able to switch Calendar feature off from the same Calendar Settings page.
After you link up your selected calendar(s) both events in your calendar and your existing Time Entries will be displayed.
! The calendar view allows you to see calendar events from the last 2 weeks.
Tapping on an event in the calendar will prompt you to create a new entry:
There are 2 widgets that you can add to your home screen:
Running Timer Widget shows your currently running Time Entry. You can tap on the Stop Button to stop the entry. Tapping on the Play Button if your timer is not ticking, starts a new blank Time Entry. Remember to add details through the mobile app!
Suggestions Widget displays your mobile app's "Working on these?" section - shortlist of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer.
Syncing Data with Servers
If your mobile device's Internet connection is solid, data syncing happens automatically even if the app is in the background. From time to time you may notice a rotating wheel indicating that the app is syncing with Toggl Track's servers.
Due to temporary connectivity issues or other factors syncing issues with mobile apps are, unfortunately, more common than those with the desktop or web app. To prevent data loss the app notifies you if some of your entries have not been saved to our database like shown here. Time Entries that have been marked with !-icons are at the risk of being deleted if the connection isn't restored. If you notice these icons and "syncing failed" error message:
- try pulling down on your Timer Screen. We recommend syncing manually as often as possible, for example, every time you either start or stop the timer.
- if manual sync didn't help and the icons are still visible - do not log out of the app cause this would cause data loss. Instead, take note of these entries so you'll be able to add them manually later.
- After you've made sure to back up any unsynced Time Entries from the mobile app please log out of the app. Logging out clears the app's local data and this is why the first step is important since we don't want you to lose data.
- Log back in to see if clearing cache helped with the syncing issues you were having. If the issue persists, please contact our support team.
Here's an article with more information on how syncing between various Toggl Track platforms works.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm an existing user, why aren't there any entries on my Timer screen?
To keep syncing on mobile as stable as possible the app will pull only data from within 10 days of your last login. You might not see any data in the app if you haven't tracked time for a while. Open Detailed reports in the web app to review your past time entries.
How do I make changes to my projects from the mobile app?
Project management features aren't available in the Android app. You can create projects, but can't edit them. To edit your projects connect to the Toggl Track web app and visit the Projects page. All your projects can be modified from there.
I don't see my main calendar listed when opening settings to link calendars with the app. Why is that?
Please make sure that the native calendar on your device is linked to the main calendar you use. For example, if you're using the Google Calendar, make sure that your Google account has been set up on your mobile device. By doing so the native Android calendar app will have access to your Google Calendars > Toggl Track app will also have access to your Google Calendar.
Why are entries from my calendar not showing up in Toggl Track?
User calendars other than the default are cached by their providers and we can only read from the cache.
Tip: In the Google calendar you can force the calendar app to refresh the cache by clicking “Refresh” from the menu in the top right corner.
How is the "Working on these" section populated?
The "working on these" section shows you three items you can quickly start time entries from.
- Up to 1 machine learning suggestion,
- Up to 1 calendar entry for the next closest event,
- Up to 3 most used time entries.
Need further help with the Android app? Feel free to contact our support team!