Toggl Timer is a native app for Android designed to help you track time while on the move. It will sync instantly with your Toggl account allowing you to seamlessly switch between tracking on the phone and tracking on the web or desktop.
Before you start...
The app will prompt for a login when first opened. If you already have a Toggl account, enter the same credentials. If you forgot the password, use the password reset page to regain access to the account.
A Google account can be used for registering or for signing in. If you have an existing Toggl account but can't sign in with Google, please check whether Google sign-in is enabled by opening the Profile page. For more details on Google sign-in, open this article.
The Timer screen
After logging in you will see the default/main screen of the app - the Timer screen. From here you can initiate actions such as starting a time entry, stopping a time entry, etc. The image below matches each icon with its function.
The Timer screen is divided into two sections
- "Working on these" suggestions - short list of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer for that entry.
- The time entry log - chronological list of your time entries. Tapping an entry will open the Edit screen and allow you to modify it.
The app comes with two distinct gestures. Both can be performed on existing time entries. They are
- Continuing a time entry (swipe from left-to-right)
- Deleting a time entry (swipe from right-to-left)
Creating time entries
This screen is opened after starting a new time entry by clicking on the green play button on the Timer page. The image above outlines exactly what each button within the page does.
When writing the description you can use shortcuts to quickly insert projects or tags. Use @ to define a project or # to define a tag.
To change the duration or start time of your Entry tap the numbers in the bottom left area. This will open the Time Selector. You can read more about further down in this article.
When you're finished making changes tap the Save button in the top right corner. Alternatively, tap the X icon in the top left corner to discard the changes.
Editing time entries
This screen shows up when editing both running and finished (past) time entries. Tap a row to change a specific part of the entry. From top to bottom:
- Whether or not the Entry is Billable (available only on a Paid Workspaces)
- Start and stop times (opens the Time Selector)
- Duration (opens the Time Selector)
- Delete time entry
The Time Selector
Accessible when you create or edit an Entry, The Time Selector has three tabs that let you set the start time, stop time, and duration of an Entry. Tap on each tab’s title to switch to it.
Under the start time and stop time tabs, you can change the time by tapping, holding and dragging the clock hand around the hour and minute wheels. You can also tap the keyboard icon in the lower left area if you want to type in a time. Set the date by clicking on the small calendar icon in the top right corner.
Under the duration tab, you can tap on the time to type in the hours and minutes, or tap on the +5m, +10m, or +30m buttons to add time quickly.
By default, the timer will start as you create a new entry. You can turn on Manual Mode in the app’s Settings to prevent this from happening. This makes it easier for you to add time later on.
When Manual Mode is on, the green play icon on the Timer screen is replaced with a plus icon.
Access the Settings by tapping the cogwheel icon from the Timer screen. From this section you can...
- Change the default workspace
- Set a different day as the first day of the week
- Turn on Manual mode
- Turn on timer notifications
Running timer - displays an icon in the notification area whenever the timer is running
Stopped timer - displays an icon in the notification area as soon as you stop the timer. Serves as a reminder to start tracking again
- Submit feedback (contact Toggl Support)
- Sign out of the app
Note: You can change the time & date format by opening the Profile page in the web app.
Open Reports by tapping the bar icon from the Timer screen (middle icon at the very bottom of the screen).
Reports on mobile still let you see a breakdown of your tracked Projects over a specific period. Please note that mobile reports are limited to your own personal time. For full workspace reports please log in to the web app.
Tap This week to select which dates the Report should cover. From here you can...
- Swipe the calendar left or right to browse through the months of the year
- Tap two different dates to set the start and stop of the Report period. Tapping on the same date twice will limit the period to one day
- At the bottom of the calendar is a horizontal list of presets that let you quickly specify a period of time. Swipe this left or right to look through all the presets, and Tap on any of them to apply it
- Tap below the dropdown to hide it
Note: Reports do not include time entries that are currently running.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm an existing user, why aren't there any entries on my Timer screen?
To keep syncing on mobile as stable as possible the app will pull only data from within 10 days of your last login. You might not see any data in the app if you haven't tracked time for a while. Open Detailed reports in the web app to review your past time entries.