Toggl Timer is a native app for iOS designed to help you track time while on the move. It will sync instantly with your Toggl account allowing you to seamlessly switch between tracking on the phone and tracking on the web or desktop.
NB! Unfortunately, we no longer support older devices (iPhone 5, iPhone 5c) as our app requires iOS11 or later.
Before you start...
The app will prompt for a login when first opened. If you already have a Toggl account, enter the same credentials. If you forgot the password, use the password reset page to regain access to the account.
A Google account can be used for registering or for signing in. If you have an existing Toggl account but can't sign in with Google, please check whether Google sign-in is enabled by opening the Profile page. For more details on Google sign-in, open this article.
The Timer screen
After logging in you will see the default screen of the app - the Timer screen. From here you can initiate actions such as starting a time entry, stopping a time entry, etc. The image below matches each icon with its function.
The Timer screen is divided into two sections
- "Working on these" suggestions - short list of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer for that entry.
- The time entry log - chronological list of your time entries. Tapping an entry will open the Edit screen and allow you to modify it.
The app comes with two distinct gestures. Both can be performed on existing time entries. They are
- Continuing a time entry (swipe from left-to-right)
- Deleting a time entry (swipe from right-to-left)
Creating time entries
This screen is opened after starting a new time entry by clicking on the green play button on the Timer page. The image above outlines exactly what each button within the page does.
When writing the description you can use shortcuts to quickly insert projects or tags. Use @ to define a project or # to define a tag.
When you're finished making changes tap the green checkmark in the bottom right corner to save them. Alternatively, tap the small X icon in the top left corner to discard the changes.
Editing time entries
This screen shows up when editing both running and finished (past) time entries. Tap a row to change a specific part of the entry. From top to bottom:
- Start and stop times (opens The Wheel)
- Duration (opens The Wheel)
- Start date
- Whether or not the Entry is Billable (available only on a Paid Workspaces)
This lets you set an Entry’s start time, stop time, and duration. Each turn around the wheel represents an hour.
Hold and spin the gray play icon around the wheel to set the start time. Spin clockwise to move it into the future, or counter-clockwise to make it earlier. You can do the same with the gray stop icon to change the stop time.
Hold and spin the gray area between the play and stop icons to change the start and stop at the same time. This lets you keep the Entry’s current duration constant.
Tap the middle of the wheel to type in the duration. Use the format hh:mm (for example, 1:30 is one hour and 30 minutes).
The start and stop times above The Wheel change as you spin items around.
Tap the < icon to the upper-left of The Wheel to discard your changes and go back. Tap Save to the upper-right of The Wheel to save your changes.
By default, the timer will start as you create a new entry. You can turn on Manual Mode in the app’s Settings to prevent this from happening. This makes it easier for you to add time later on.
When Manual Mode is on, the green play icon on the Timer screen is replaced with a plus icon.
Pro tip: Hold "play" button for a bit longer and it will open up a manual mode to enter your time entry. If Manual mode is the default mode, hold "plus" button and the automatic mode will be triggered.
Access the Settings by tapping the cogwheel icon from the Timer screen. From this section you can...
- Change the default workspace
- Select a different time & date format
- Change the duration format
- Set a different day as the first day of the week
- Turn on grouping similar time entries
- Turn on Manual mode
- Configure calendars for the Calendar view
- Turn on notifications for calendar events (reminders to track time)
- Submit feedback (contact Toggl Support)
- Sign out of the app
Open Reports by tapping the bar icon from the Timer screen (middle icon at the very bottom of the screen).
Reports on mobile still let you see a breakdown of your tracked Projects over a specific period. Please note that mobile reports are limited to your own personal time. For full workspace reports please log in to the web app.
Tap This week to select which dates the Report should cover. From here you can...
- Swipe the calendar left or right to browse through the months of the year
- Tap two different dates to set the start and stop of the Report period. Tapping on the same date twice will limit the period to one day
- At the bottom of the calendar is a horizontal list of presets that let you quickly specify a period of time. Swipe this left or right to look through all the presets, and Tap on any of them to apply it
- Tap below the dropdown to hide it
Note: Reports do not include time entries that are currently running.
The Toggl app allows you to use Siri for actions such as starting or stopping the timer. In other words, you can interact with the app without actually opening it.
Setting up Toggl and Siri
- Perform a few actions in the Toggl app (e.g. starting the timer, stopping the timer, etc).
- Navigate to iOS Settings >> Toggl >> Siri & Search >> Shortcuts.
- Tap the + icon next to the shortcut you want to create.
- Record the audio trigger for the action. If you're creating a shortcut for starting the timer, the audio cue can be "Start Toggl".
- Activate Siri and say the audio trigger defined earlier.
Note: It's normal for the action to take a few seconds to execute.
The calendar view allows you to see calendar events from the last 3 weeks. Those events can then be easily turned into time entries. Access the Calendar screen by tapping the calendar icon (bottom right corner) while on the Timer screen.
The app will prompt you to connect a calendar when you first open the Calendar view. If you decide to connect another calendar in the future just tap the Settings icon in the top right corner.
List of available actions
- Tap a calendar event to create a time entry with the same description and duration
- Tap an existing time entry to edit it
- Tap and hold an existing time entry to quickly change its duration
- Tap, hold and move in an empty area to create a new time entry
N.B: The app will only access the calendar which the user selects (it will not have access to other calendars)
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm an existing user, why aren't there any entries on my Timer screen?
To keep syncing on mobile as stable as possible the app will pull only data from within 10 days of your last login. You might not see any data in the app if you haven't tracked time for a while. Open Detailed reports in the web app to review your past time entries.
I'm only seeing calendar settings, how do I open regular settings?
Go to the Timer screen and then tap on the settings icon. When in the Calendar view, the settings icon displays calendar settings. Everywhere else, it opens the regular settings.
How do I make changes to my projects from the mobile app?
Project management features aren't available in the iOS app. You can create projects, but can't edit them. To edit your projects connect to the Toggl web app and visit the Projects page. All your projects can be modified from there.
How do I enable dark mode on the mobile app?
This will depend on your iOS settings, if you've set Dark mode to be enabled, Toggl app will automatically have the dark mode. Otherwise, it will be in the light mode.
If you enable the automatic mode, the app will change its appearance depending on the time of day.
Why are entries from my calendar not showing up in Toggl?
User calendars other than the default are cached by their providers and we can only read from the cache.