You can control who can view which data in your workspace by providing different users with different access to your workspace.
In Toggl, there are three basic user access levels:
- Regular users
- Project managers
- Workspace admins
By default, all newly invited workspace users are regular users. A regular user can:
- Track time under projects they are members of
- Track time to and view reports on public projects
- View reports of their own tracked time
- Add projects and clients (unless the workspace administrator has disabled this option on the Workspace Settings page) (Starter plan required)
- Add tags
The user who creates a project is automatically the manager of that project. A project can have more than just one manager. Project managers can be set and changed on the project edit page. You can read more about assigning this role here.
A project manager can:
- Do everything a regular user can do
- Edit the project(s) they are the manager of
- See all the time that is tracked under the project(s) they are the manager of
- See and edit the project members’ hourly rates
- View the Project Dashboard for projects they manage
Giving project manager privileges
- Open the Projects page and click on the project for which you want to assign a project manager.
- Click on the "Team" tab.
- Hover over a User in the role field and click on Give manager rights.
By default, the person who creates the workspace is the administrator of the workspace.
You can add new admins and edit existing ones from the Team page. Click on the 3-dot control at the end of the user row and select Edit. You can change user access on the popup that opens.
A workspace administrator can:
- Do everything a project manager can do
- Change workspace settings
- Import CSV files
- Edit all projects and clients
- Edit team members' billable rate
- See, edit and delete all time entries in the workspace (includes time tracked by other members)
- Decide who can create projects and see billable rates
- Create public projects
- Create and edit tasks in public projects
- View the Project Dashboard for all projects
User groups can be created from the User Groups tab in the Team page. Their purpose is to make managing larger teams/workspaces easier. Instead of adding each individual team member to every project, you can create a user group instead and add the group to the project.
User groups are also useful when new members join the team. Instead of adding them to all the projects in the workspace, you simply assign them to the relevant user group.
Project privacy settings
There are two types of projects – Public and Private. Admins are the only ones who can create public projects, non-admins can only create private projects. By default, all projects are Private.
- Accessible to all workspace users
- All workspace users can participate (track time)
- All users are able to view every single time entry tracked under public projects
- Only admins can add or edit tasks within a public project
- Admins can make a project public by ticking the "Public" box in the project creation window
- Only accessible to project members
- Members can only see their own tracked time
- Project managers can view all time tracked under private projects
- Workspace admins can view, and edit, all time tracked under private projects
An existing project can be switched between Public/Private from the project edit page.
Need further help in understanding how to control user access in your workspace? Contact our support team via chat or email.