Assigning Clients to your projects will allow you to get an extra level of time tracking data categorization and make it easier to create reports by applying both the Project and the Client filter.
If you work on different projects (or provide multiple services) for a single client adding the same client to multiple projects will allow you to keep better track of the entire scope of work you are doing for that client.
Clients can be created in more than one way:
- From the "Clients" page.
- From the "Projects" page.
- From the "Timer" page.
Creating Clients using the "Clients" page
- Click on the "Clients" page on the left side menu in the Toggl web app
- Type the name of your new client in the "New client name..." box and click the green "Add" button
Creating clients while creating projects on the "Projects" page
- Go to the "Projects" page using the left side menu via the Toggl web app
- Start creating a project by clicking on the green "Create project" button on the upper-right corner of your screen
- An overlay will pop-up, start typing the new Client name using the "+Select client" field and hit "Enter"
Creating a new client while creating a new time entry
- Start a running timer on the Timer page or start creating a new time entry using manual mode
- When selecting a project choose to create a new Project
- An overlay will pop-up, in the "No client" field type in the name of your new Client and click on "+ Add new client"
Please note that Workspaces on our Starter, Premium and Enterprise plans have an option to prevent regular users from managing Clients. If an option 'Who can create projects and clients' is set to 'Admins' under Workspace settings, only admins will be able to create, update or delete clients in that case.
To delete clients go to the "Clients" page using the left-side menu via the Toggl web app and click on the "x" sign next to the client you'd like to remove:
After clicking the "x" sign next to the Client you'd like to delete you will be asked to confirm your decision. Once you confirm that you'd like to delete a Client there will be no way to undo the action and the client will be removed from all Projects it was allocated to.
To edit clients you should follow the steps above detailing how to delete a client, only this time instead of the "X" sign you should click on the "pen" sign to edit a Client name.
After being edited, the update Client name will be applied to the client and the new name will be shown for the client with all previously allocated time entries.