In this article: how to upload a CSV, required file format, examples of CSV files, moving data between workspaces.
Why use CSV import?
CSV import is useful when you need to move massive amounts of data (projects, clients, tags, time entries, etc) from a different Toggl workspace or from a totally different time tracking software. Most online apps allow you to export data into the CSV format. To start importing, open the Import/Export page.
Uploading a CSV file
- Open the Import and Export page.
- Click on “Choose file” and upload your CSV. The app will analyze your file and tell you if it’s importable. It will also display exactly what you will be importing (how many projects, users, etc).
- Hit “Import now” to complete the process.
- The app always displays the “Adding new users increases your workspace fee” message. If you’re uploading time for existing users, just ignore this.
- Users added with CSV import are active immediately and are considered to be active users. Be careful if you’re on a paid Toggl plan, this could affect your next invoice.
Required CSV format
Your file must fulfil these two basic requirements:
- Values need to be comma-separated
- Encodning must be UTF-8
Quick tip: The easiest way to see how your CSV file should look like is to export a Detailed report into the CSV.
Columns and column structure
General column information
- Columns must have headers in English. The allowed headers are: User, Email, Client, Project, Task, Description, Billable, Start date, Start time, Duration, Tags
- The order of the columns is not important
- You can import one, all or a selection of columns – depending on what you want to import (see steps below)
Columns that you can import on their own
- Email (to import users)
Columns that must be with at least one other column
- User – must have Email to attach it to
- Task – must have Project to attach it to
- Description – must have Email, Start date, Start time, Duration
- Billable – is a time entry flag only so must have at least Email, Start date, Start time and Duration attached also to be able to add a billable flag.
Time entry requirements
To import time entries, you must have at least (minimum) the following columns filled in:
- Email (of the user whose time entry it is)
- Start date in the format YYYY-MM-DD
- Start time in the format HH:MM:SS
- Duration in HH:MM:SS
Note: End date and End time are not looked at. This gets calculated automatically within the system when you add your start time and duration.
Examples of acceptable files
All displayed files have been made in Open Office, saved in CSV comma separated format, and have UTF-8 encoding.
Example 1: Importing only users
Things to keep in mind:
- Email address is required to import a user
- You can add the user name and they will be added with this name initially. However, if a user with this email address already has an account in Toggl and they’ve set a different name for themselves, this will change on your Team page automatically as well. User name is only indicative.
Example 2: Importing projects and clients
Example 3: Importing time entries from a different time tracking system
- Compulsory fields have been highlighted in light blue, you need at least Email, Start date, Start time, and Duration to import a time entry.
- Billable column controls where the entry is billable or not (Starter feature). It is a boolean value. The three acceptable formats are: y or n, yes or no, 1 or 0.
A few notes for Windows/Excel users
When using Excel on Windows, pay attention to these things:
- Regional settings – make sure that your list separator is a comma.
- Date and time fields – they must be in the required format. If you don’t manually import the file and set the fields to “Text”, Excel will likely change your date/time fields to a different format.
- UTF-8 export – some Excel versions struggle with exporting UTF-8. If Toggl rejects your CSV, open it in regular ol’ Notepad and save it as a new CSV file encoded in UTF-8. You should see the “Encoding” option inside the Save As window.
Moving data between workspaces using CSV
The CSV import functionality can also help if you need to move data tracked by other users from one Toggl workspace to another. You can move your own data between workspaces with Bulk Edit.
Moving data with CSV import
- Generate a Detailed report containing all of your data. This means selecting a large time frame inside the Calendar. Max time frame is 1 year.
- Export the report to a CSV and save it on your computer
- Switch into the correct workspace. You can change the active workspace by clicking on your username in the bottom-left corner and selecting the relevant workspace inside the sub-menu that opens.
- Open the Import page and upload the file you just saved on your computer. Click here for upload instructions.
Things to keep in mind
- The exported file is already in the correct formatting and so you don’t need to open it before importing it to the other workspace. This is to avoid accidentally changing any of the formatting.
- Any user that’s included in the CSV file but not already a member of the other workspace will be immediately added to the workspace. If you’re on a paid plan, this will affect your future invoices!
- If you wish to move data between user accounts just edit the Email column. Please note that your edits may change the required file structure.