In this article: CSV import file format, how to import data – users, projects & clients, time, tags, how to move data from one workspace to another.
What does it do?
How does it work?
2. Upload the file with the required format (see below).
3. Toggl will tell you what it can and cannot import
4. If you are importing new users to your workspace, you can have invitation emails sent to them. Tick the box if you would like to. All imported users will be active automatically (if you have a Pro account, your next invoice will reflect this accordingly) regardless of whether you tick this box or not. They will receive a notification when they next log in to their Toggl account.
- must have headers, in English. The allowed headers are: User, Email, Client, Project, Task, Description, Billable, Start date, Start time, Duration, Tags
- The order of the columns is not important
- You can import one, all or a selection of columns – depending on what you want to import (see steps below)
2) Columns that you can import on their own (as long as they have the corresponding header):
- Email (to import users)
- User – must have Email to attach it to
- Task – must have Project to attach it to
- Description – must have Email, Start date, Start time, Duration
- Billable – is a time entry flag only so must have at least Email, Start date, Start time and Duration attached also to be able to add a billable flag.
- Email (of the user whose time entry it is)
- Start date in the format YYYY-MM-DD
- Start time in the format HH:MM:SS
- Duration in HH:MM:SS
- Please note that End date and End time are not looked at. This gets calculated automatically within the system when you add your start time and duration.
Scroll down to view an example file for a time entry import.
Examples of acceptable files:
- All displayed files have been made in Open Office, saved in CSV comma separated format, and have UTF-8 encoding.
- Be careful that your cells are formatted as TEXT, otherwise they often auto-format your dates and times into different formats.
- Email address is required to import a user
- You can add the user name and they will be added with this name initially. However, if a user with this email address already has an account in Toggl and they’ve set a different name for themselves, this will change on your Team page automatically as well. User name is only indicative.
- Compulsory fields have been highlighted in light blue, you need at least Email, Start date, Start time, and Duration to import a time entry.
- End date and end time are not counted in the import, Toggl will calculate it automatically based on start and duration.
- The tags that I’ve added here get saved to my workspace and get attached to the specific entries also.
- Here you can also determine whether a time entry is billable or not (a Pro feature). It is a boolean value, so the three acceptable formats are y or n, yes or no, 1 or 0.
Moving data between workspaces using CSV
- Generate a ‘Detailed report’ of all the data you wish to move (click here to see where you can do that)
- Export the report to CSV and save on your computer
- On your Import page, make sure you’re in your other workspace (change between workspaces from the tabs just below the Toggl logo at the top left)
- Import the file you just saved on your computer
Tip: you are able to move your data between Workspaces by choosing another Project label. When you’re editing your time entries on Detailed Reports page and pick a Project from another Workspace, your time entry will be moved under that Workspace also. This feature is also available with Bulk Edit.
Please note here:
- The exported file is already in the correct formatting and so you don’t need to even open it before importing it back in – to avoid accidentally changing any of the formatting.
- The key is that the users exist in both workspaces.
- If you wish to move data between user accounts, make sure you change the email address in the exported file, and save it in the correct format before importing.