Toggl allows you to bulk import data via CSV files on our Import page. CSV import is limited to workspace admins.
To import data from a CSV file to Toggl, the CSV file must have:
- Comma-separated values
- UTF-8 encoding
Columns and column structure
Columns must have headers in English. The allowed column headers are:
- Start date
- Start time
The order of columns isn't important. You can also import one, all, or specific set of columns. It depends on what you're importing.
Columns that you can import on their own:
- Email (to import users)
Columns that must have at least one other column:
- User – must have Email to attach it to
- Task – must have Project to attach it to
- Description – must have Email, Start date, Start time, Duration
- Billable – is a time entry flag only so must have at least Email, Start date, Start time and Duration attached
Quick tip: The easiest way to see how your CSV file should look like is to export a Detailed report into the CSV.
Importing time entries
To import time entries, the following columns are required:
- Email (of the user whose time entry it is)
- Start date in the format YYYY-MM-DD
- Start time in the format HH:MM:SS
- Duration in the format HH:MM:SS
Note: When importing time entries, the end date and end time are ignored. These are calculated automatically by the importer, based on the start time and duration.
Examples of acceptable files
All displayed files were made with Open Office, saved in CSV comma separated format, and have UTF-8 encoding.
Example 1: Importing users only
Things to keep in mind:
- Each row must have an email address
- If the imported user already has a Toggl account for that email address, whatever name they've set will be used.
Example 2: Importing projects and clients
Example 3: Importing time entries from a different time tracking system
- The required fields are highlighted in light blue above. You need at least an Email, Start date, Start time, and Duration to import a time entry.
- As the Billable column indicates if a time entry is billable or not, the three acceptable formats are y or n, yes or no, 1 or 0.
Notes for Windows and Excel users
When using Excel on Windows, pay attention to these things:
- Regional settings – make sure that your list separator is a comma.
- Date and time fields – they must be in the required format as explained in Importing time entries above. If you don’t manually import the file and set the fields to “Text”, Excel will likely change your date/time fields to a different format.
- UTF-8 export – some Excel versions struggle with exporting UTF-8. If Toggl rejects your CSV, open it in regular ol’ Notepad and save it as a new CSV file encoded in UTF-8. You should see the “Encoding” option inside the Save As window.
Uploading the CSV file
Data can be imported to Toggl from a CSV file by uploading the file via the Import page.
Once there, click on the "Select CSV file to upload" icon and upload your CSV. You can also drag and drop a file in this area.
The importer will analyze your file and show an error if it can't be imported. You will also see what you will be importing (how many projects, users, etc.).
If everything looks good, click “Import now” to complete the process.
Keep in mind that:
- The app always displays the “Adding new users increases your workspace fee” warning. If you’re uploading time for existing users, just ignore this.
- Users added with CSV import are active immediately and are considered to be active users. Be careful if you’re on a paid Toggl plan, as this could affect your billing.
- Maximum file size is 1 MB.
Having trouble importing your data? Contact our support team via chat or email for assistance! :)