In this article: download, tracking time, tutorial, grouped mode, manual mode, editing, collapse/expand, drag-and-drop, load more, settings, idle detection, Pomodoro timer, timeline, default project, proxy, autotracker, reminders, cogwheel icon links, mini timer, and keyboard shortcuts.
Toggl Desktop for Windows is a native Windows application that can be installed on your computer. It works seamlessly with the web version of Toggl, syncing data on the fly. Toggl Desktop works also offline. It stores data locally and sends it to the Toggl server once you’re back online.
You can download the app installer here (supported Windows 64bit versions are 7, 8,8.1 and 10). Please note that Toggl Desktop is automatically installed to the user directory, so that it can be used without admin privileges. The app cannot be installed inside the Program Files directory.
Tracking time with the desktop agent is as simple as it could possibly be. Just fill in the details of the job you’re doing and click on the green “Start” button to start the timer. If you start the timer first and wish to add the details later, just click on the timer and a window appears where you’re able to edit the description, start/stop times and the project. You’re also able to add tags and decide whether the entry is marked as “Billable” or not.
If you’re not quite sure how to get started, click through the Tutorial within the app:
The app can display each time entry individually or as time entry groups. This behavior can be controlled by enabling/disabling the “Group similar time entries” option inside the Profile page. For more details about time entry grouping please open the Grouped Mode article.
When filling time entry details the autocomplete function will help you out by offering you already typed in words. Autocomplete works in all time entry edit fields.
If you wish to enter your time manually, click on “Use manual mode” function from the cogwheel icon. To start using the Timer again, simply choose ‘Use timer’.
To make your life easier, the Toggl Desktop icon in your tray turns red when the timer is running, and grey, when it’s not.
Editing your time entries in the desktop app is really easy – just click on the entry you wish to edit and a similar popup window appears. Once you’re done editing, either click on the back arrow in the bottom left corner or just click on desktop timer window. Changes are saved automatically.
To add new projects simply click on the “Add new project” link. You can also choose your project color as well.
You can delete a time entry by clicking on the trashcan icon in the lower right corner of the edit window. Or just right click on the entry and choose ‘Delete time entry’ option.
To continue a time entry, just click on the arrow button next to the time entry.
If you have too many time entries visible and it’s looking too cluttered, just right-click on a time entry and choose ‘Collapse all days’. The right click also reveals an option to expand all entries or to delete that particular entry.
Use the drag-and-drop function to rearrange your data and move an entry under a different date. Please note that this method can only be used for moving time entries. Time entry groups can’t be drag-and-dropped.
To edit the settings of your desktop agent, just open the Preferences window by right-clicking on the Toggl icon in your tray.
You can also access the Preferences menu from the cogwheel icon:
App’s Preferences – General tab
Idle detection notifies you of the time that you’ve been inactive/away from the keyboard. You can change the duration of being inactive after which alert gets displayed. After the notification has popped up, you can decide whether to keep the time, discard it or add the time as a new entry. Here’s what it looks like:
Pomodoro timer – with the Pomodoro timer you can set up notifications that will let you know that it’s time to take a break. Tick the ‘Pomodoro Timer’ option to enable it and set your preferred interval.
If time is up, a sound is played and a notification pops up to let you know you’ve done well and deserve to take a break.
Record timeline – if you enable this feature, all websites and programs that you view for longer than 10 seconds will be recorded. You can learn more about this feature here.
On top of other windows – orders the desktop app to appear always on top.
Keyboard shortcuts section ables you to record the preferred keyboard combination to customize your work flow.
Default project setting allows you to pick one project that you use the most. This project will be automatically filled in each time you start a time-entry without a project. If needed you can still change the project for both running and stopped time-entries.
App’s Preferences – Proxy tab
Here you can configure proxy settings if you happen to be behind a proxy. If you tick the “Use system proxy settings” checkbox, Toggl Desktop will use the same proxy settings you have set up for your system.
App’s Preferences – AutoTracker tab
Under AutoTracker tab you can define applications or keywords and projects they connect to. If an application with the keyword is in the foreground it triggers the AutoTracker. When tracker is triggered it shows you a notification and asks if you would like to track time under the project you chose.
App’s Preferences – Reminder tab
Under Reminder tab are following settings:
Here you’re able to customize your tracking reminders. You can choose how often the reminder will pop up; choose the weekdays you want to be notified (no more Sunday reminders!). Also you can choose the time of day when you want to be reminded to start working.
- Check which account you are signed in to Toggl desktop app with – your email address is displayed on top of the icon menu.
- Sync – to manually force syncing. It’s needed if there’s trouble with the live sync. If not, the app syncs itself automatically within seconds.
- Reports – the link will take you to your Summary Report in the web app.
- Use mini timer – enables a persistent mini timer that displays information about the time entry currently running. The mini timer will always be on top of all other windows.
- Clear Cache – this comes in handy when the local database has become corrupt or has some erroneous data in it. This can happen when application upgrade fails, computer has suddenly crashed or computer hard disk is faulty or full. Please note that before clicking on Clear Cache it’s important to check if all your time entries have been saved to webapp.
- Send Feedback – this is a great way to reach Toggl Support team straight from the app. Don’t hesitate to use it to report issues, submit questions or feedback.
- The About link – gives you information about which desktop app version you’re using. From the About pop up window you’re also able to switch to developer’s or beta channel.
- Logout – logs the user out and sends you back to the log in page.
- Quit – use to exit the application; you’re able to continue your session without having to log in.
- If you wish to resize your desktop app, then this can be done from all sides – the same way it works for any other Windows application.
Toggl Desktop sports several keyboard shortcuts for fast time entry:
- Ctrl-N creates a new time entry and displays Toggl Desktop window
- Ctrl-D changes between timer and manual mode
- Ctrl-S stops a running time entry
- Ctrl-O continues a previous time entry
- Ctrl-E open running entry in edit popup
- Ctrl-W minimise app to tray
- Ctrl-R sync data
- Ctrl-V (when no text-box is focused) start timer with clipboard text as description
Also there are context specific shortcuts to make moving around inside the app more easy:
- Switching between timer and Time entry listing
- SHIFT+DOWN – Focuses the Time entry listing
- ESC –
- If the edit popup is opened it always closes the popup (event if listing is focused).
- If edit popup is not opened and entries list is focused it will switch the focus to Timer.
- Moving inside Time entries listing
- UP/DOWN – switch between selected time entry
- ENTER – open the edit view of selected time entry
- SPACE – continue the selected time entry
- BACKSPACE – delete the selected time entry
- Collapse/expand data
- LEFT ARROW – collapses current day’s time entries
- RIGHT ARROW – opens all time entries for the day
- SHIFT+LEFT ARROW – collapses all days
- SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW – expands all days
Toggl Desktop is an open source project. You’re welcome to help us by submitting pull requests, bug reports or feature requests to our Github page – https://github.com/toggl/toggldesktop/ .