In this article: how does timeline work, what does it show, privacy, enabling & disabling.
The Timeline feature takes time tracking to a whole different level. It records every website and program that you view for longer than 10 seconds.
- Timeline gets recorded on automatically when Toggl Desktop is running on your computer and you have enabled the recording;
- Records each website and program that you view for more than 10 seconds;
- Shows your day in 15-minute increments;
- Displayed in the webapp, in the top section of the Timer page;
- It helps you keep track of your day and application usage.
Timeline will not be available on the first day after signing up in Toggl – it will be enabled on the second day.
- The horizontal bars show the times of the day that you have covered with time entries. The bars are colored after the project this particular entry has been assigned to.
- The blue vertical bars display the programs that you’ve used and pages you’ve viewed and for how long.
- The bar height shows how many minutes of the 15-min increment you have been active for. Hover over a bar to see the exact sites and applications you visited at that time of day and for how long.
- Only you can see the information on the Timeline
- Information is not shown in reports or anywhere else in Toggl.
- All information is kept entirely private and not shared with anyone.
- Toggl does not save any data that is entered on those sites or applications (e.g. passwords or content).
- To enable the Timeline feature, go to Timer page, click on the visualization menu under the timer and choose “Timeline”.
- To hide the Timeline, disable the feature from visualization menu.
- If you don’t yet have Toggl Desktop app, which you’ll need to use this feature, you can download it from there as well.
- Once you downloaded the app, be sure to turn on the option to Record the Timeline.
- For Windows, you can do so by clicking on the cogwheel icon – Preferences – check the option for Record the timeline.
- For Mac and Linux, open the Preferences window from the menu bar and tick the option Record the timeline.
Once you’ve done it, your timeline should be working and you could see it recording in the web app (as explained above).
If you wish to disable this feature, choose this option from the Preferences/Settings window in the desktop agent.