Toggl Track Time Tracker and Timesheet for Work Hours is a native app for Android designed to help you track time while on the move. It syncs with your Toggl Track account allowing you to seamlessly switch between tracking time on the phone and tracking on the web or desktop.
This article covers:
- Signing up and Logging in
- Understanding the Toggl Track mobile app
- Creating Time Entries
- Editing Time Entries
- Creating Projects, Clients and Tags
- Calendar View
- Widgets and more
- Frequently Asked Questions
Signing up and Logging in
On opening the app for the first time, you will be prompted to create a new account. If you already have a Track account, you can opt to log in using the same credentials. If you forgot the password, use the password reset page to regain access to the account.
A Google account can be used for signing up, or logging in if you've already enabled Google login. If you have an existing Toggl Track account but can't sign in with Google, please check whether Google sign-in is enabled by opening the Profile page in the web app. For more details on Google sign-in, open this article.
If your company has enabled SSO login for you, you can use that to log into the mobile app. Currently, we do not support Apple ID login on our Android mobile app.
Understanding the Toggl Track mobile app
The Track mobile app has four main areas:
- Timer screen
- Calendar view
The navigation bar at the bottom allows you to move between the Timer, Calendar and Reports screens.
The Timer screen is itself divided into three sections:
1. "Track Again" suggestions - a shortlist of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer for that entry.
2. The Time Entry log - a chronological list of your Time Entries, with time entry totals for each date.
If you have grouping enabled, time entries with matching description/task/project combinations will be grouped by each date. You can tap on the grouping to expand it.
Swipe and Undo
The app comes with two distinct swiping gestures on the Timer Screen. Both can be performed on existing Time Entries:
- Swipe from right-to-left to delete a time entry
- Swipe from left-to-right to continue a time entry
After a Time Entry is deleted an undo option appears at the bottom of the screen and is available for 5 seconds, just above the navigation bar.
Note: Please be sure to use the "undo" option before it goes away, there are no other ways of reverting the delete action.
Creating Time Entries
You can create new time entries in a few different ways.
To start a new time entry, press the Play button on the bottom-right of the screen. To start adding details, click on it and the editing section will slide up, allowing you to add more details.
You can also start the timer by clicking on the "I'm working on..." field at the bottom. By default, the timer will start ticking as you create a new entry and a slider will popup where you can add more details.
To change the duration or start time of your entry tap the running timer in the bottom left area. This will open the Time Selector. Read more about this in the Editing Time Entries section.
When you're finished making changes, remember to tap the Checkmark button in the bottom right corner. Alternatively, tap the X icon in the top left corner to discard all changes or tap outside of the popup.
To continue an existing time entry, press the Play button next to it
To start a manual time entry, click the Mode button on the bottom-left of the screen. The pink Play button will change to a pink Checkmark.
If you prefer using Manual Mode, switch it on from the app’s Settings:
- click on the cogwheel icon on the top right
- scroll to Timer Defaults section
- switch on Manual Mode
When Manual Mode is on, the pink play icon on the Timer screen is replaced with a pink Checkmark icon.
You can also use app widgets to start time entries. Read more about these below under the Settings section.
Editing Time Entries
When tapping on a running entry or an existing Time Entry the editing overlay opens up. You can expand it further by pulling on the handlebar at the top. By long-pressing on an empty calendar slot, you can create a new Time Entry directly from the Calendar view.
Here you can:
- See the duration of the time entry in the top right. Clicking on this opens the Time Selector
- The description
- Currently selected Project and Tags
- Folder icon to select a different project
- Tag icon to add a tag
- Clock icon to open the Time Selector
- $ icon to change the billable state
- Trash icon to delete the time entry
- Pink checkmark to save the changes
To discard changes, click the X button in the top left.
The Time Selector
Accessible when you create or edit an entry, the Time Selector allows you to adjust the duration, start time/date and end time/date of a time entry.
- The main wheel in the center is where you adjust the duration. Drag the Play or Stop button back and forth to adjust the Start or End time. This will also update the duration. You can also click on the duration field in the center of this wheel to type in the duration manually.
- You can click on the Start Time or End Time at the top of the wheel to adjust the time manually.
- To adjust the Start or End Date, click on the date fields on top of the wheel and a calendar will popup allowing you to pick the date.
Creating Projects, Clients and Tags
You can create Projects, Clients and Tags on the go from the Track mobile app, however, you can only manage these items from the webapp.
- Projects can be created when the Projects dropdown is open. Click the + Create Project option to do so.
- While creating a Project, you can also create a new Client. Just click on the + Create Client option in the Client's dropdown. Do note, this option is only available when creating a new project.
- Tags can be created via the Tags dropdown by clicking + Create Tag.
Note: Tasks can only be created via the webapp.
To access the Calendar tap on the calendar icon on the bottom navigation bar.
The calendar shows existing Time Entries for the current day as colored blocks of time (based on the project color).
Click on an existing entry to reveal an action menu that allows you to delete, edit, or duplicate or continue the selected entry.
By long-pressing on an empty calendar slot, you can create a new Time Entry directly from the Calendar view. You can also tap and hold the screen, then move your finder to create a time entry with the chosen duration. Time entries can also be adjusted by using the handles at the top or bottom, and moved around the calendar by tapping and holding them.
To get the most out of the Calendar feature we recommend integrating one of your calendars with the Toggl Track app. Here's how:
- Click on the cogwheel icon at the top right-hand corner
- Click on "Calendar Settings”
- Toggle the “Allow Calendar Access” option
- Select the Calendars you want to sync.
Note: You are able to switch Calendar feature off from the same Calendar Settings page.
After you integrate your selected calendar(s) both events in your calendar and your existing Time Entries will be displayed on the Calendar screen. You can click on any Calendar entry to copy it as a time entry, or start a new timer.
Note: The calendar view allows you to see calendar events from the last 2 weeks.
Open Reports by tapping the bar-chart icon from the bottom navigation bar on the Timer screen.
Reports on the mobile app let you see a breakdown of your tracked Projects over a specific period of time.
Note: Mobile reports are limited to your own personal time. For full workspace reports please log into the web app.
- Change the workspace you're running the report for
- Go to Settings
- Adjust the date range
The Reports page shows you (based on your selected date range):
- Total hours tracked
- Billable hours and percentage
- Billable amount
- A bar graph showing you your time entries across the date range
- A pie chart with a list of all projects and the percentage of time spent on them.
Adjusting the Date Range
By default, when you access Reports you will see data for the current week.
Tap on ‘This week’ to change the date range. Use one of the preset date ranges or select a custom date range.
From here you can:
- Swipe the calendar left or right to browse through the months of the year (You cannot swipe forward if you're on the current month).
- Tap two different dates to set the start and stop of the reporting period. Tapping on the same date twice will limit the period to one day.
- At the bottom of the calendar is a horizontal list of presets that let you quickly specify a period of time. Swipe this left or right to look through all the presets, and tap on any of them to apply it.
- Click Done to save changes
- Tap outside the popup or click Cancel to exit it.
Note: Reports do not include time entries that are currently running. You can also only select max 365 days at a time.
The Settings screen can be accessed by clicking on the Settings cog on the Timer or Calendar screens.
Here are all the options you have on this screen:
From the Your Profile section you can:
- Choose your default workspace
- Review your workspace subscription and renewal date
- Edit your name
- Update your email address
Date and Time
Adjust your preferred date and time settings. You can:
- Choose your date format
- Switch to 24-hour clock
- Change the time entry duration format
- Change the day your week starts
- Group similar time entries on the Timer screen
Select your default behavior for the timer. You can enable/disable cell swipe actions and enable Manual mode permanently if you prefer to track your time that way.
Some calendar settings can be adjusted on this screen:
- Calendar Settings: Enable (or disable) the calendar integration from here, and choose which calendars to pull data from.
- Smart Alerts: Choose when to get alerted for upcoming calendar events.
You can add two notifications to your notifications area and this is where you enable/disable them.
- Running Timer notification shows your currently running Time Entry. Tap on the time entry to open the Toggl Track mobile app.
- Stopped Timer notification displays a "What are you working on?" message that you can click on to open the Toggl Track mobile app.
Under the General section, you can:
- Switch between light/dark mode or choose to follow the system setting
- Enable Haptic Feedback
- Submit Feedback to our team
- Recommend Toggl Track to others by sharing our app
- Toggl Blog on Personal Efficiency: Go to our blog
- About: Check the app version
- Help: Navigate to this guide and our Support site
Sync Status and Sign Out
Also on the Settings page, you can check the current sync status and log out of the app.
Widgets and More
The Track Android app has widgets, tiles and other options for engaging with the app without opening it.
By long-pressing the Toggl Track app icon a menu is revealed that allows you to:
- See if a current time entry is running, or a "what are you working on" message you can click on to open the app
- Start a time entry by click on the "Start a Time Entry" option. This will open the mobile app with the create time entry popup opened.
- Go directly to the Calendar view
- Open the App Info
- Enable Widgets
There are two widget options:
- Currently Running Timer: Shows the currently running time entry on your mobile home screen. You can stop a time entry from here.
- Track Again: Shows you a few suggested time entries to start again. Pressing on the play icon will start the time entry. Clicking on the suggestion itself will open the mobile app.
You can also enable tiles to be added to your pull down menu. This is the menu where you can quickly access wifi settings. Click the pencil option to Edit and choose the Track tiles you wish to add. You can choose between:
- Start: Opens the Track app with the Edit Time entry modal open
- Running Time Entry: Shows currently running time entry. You can click on this to stop it.
- Reports: Opens the Reports screen in the Track app.
Syncing Data with Servers
If your mobile device's Internet connection is solid, data syncing happens automatically even if the app is in the background. From time to time you may notice a rotating wheel indicating that the app is syncing with Toggl Track's servers. You can also check the sync status on the Settings page.
Due to temporary connectivity issues or other factors, syncing issues with mobile apps are, unfortunately, more common than those with the desktop or web app.
To prevent data loss the app notifies you if some of your entries have not been saved to our database with an exclamation mark next to them.
Time Entries that have been marked with !-icons are at the risk of being deleted if the connection isn't restored. If you notice these icons and "syncing failed" error message:
- Try pulling down on your Timer Screen. We recommend syncing manually as often as possible, for example, every time you either start or stop the timer.
- If manual sync didn't help and the ! icons are still visible - do not log out of the app as this will cause data loss. Instead, take note of these entries so you'll be able to add them manually later.
- After you've made sure to back up any un-synced Time Entries from the mobile app, please log out of the app. Logging out clears the app's local data and this is why the previous step is important since we don't want you to lose data.
- Log back in to see if clearing cache helped with the syncing issues you were having. If the issue persists, please contact our support team.
Here's an article with more information on how syncing between various Toggl Track platforms works.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm an existing user, why aren't there any entries on my Timer screen?
To keep syncing on mobile as stable as possible the app will pull only data from within 10 days of your last login. You might not see any data in the app if you haven't tracked time for a while. Open Detailed reports in the web app to review your past time entries.
How do I make changes to my projects from the mobile app?
Project management features aren't available in the Android app. You can create projects, but can't edit them. To edit your projects connect to the Toggl Track web app and visit the Projects page. All your projects can be modified from there.
I don't see my main calendar listed when opening settings to link calendars with the app. Why is that?
Please make sure that the native calendar on your device is linked to the main calendar you use. For example, if you're using the Google Calendar, make sure that your Google account has been set up on your mobile device. By doing so, the native Android calendar app will have access to your Google Calendars, therefore Toggl Track app will also have access to your Google Calendar.
Why are entries from my calendar not showing up in Toggl Track?
User calendars other than the default are cached by their providers and we can only read from the cache.
Note: In the Google calendar you can force the calendar app to refresh the cache by clicking “Refresh” from the menu in the top right corner.
How is the "Track Again" section populated?
The "track again" section shows you three items you can quickly start time entries from.
- Up to 1 calendar entry for the next closest event,
- Up to 3 most used time entries.
Can I only start time entries from the widgets and the app?
No, you can select any text in your web browser, long-press on it and use the contextual menu to start a time entry with this text as description
Need further help with the Android app? Feel free to contact our support team!