Toggl Track for Windows is a native Windows application that can be installed on your computer. It works seamlessly with the web version of Toggl Track, syncing data on the fly. Toggl Track desktop app works also offline. It stores data locally and sends it to the Toggl Track server once you’re back online.
If you want a fresh download you can use one of the links below depending on the version of your Windows OS:
You can switch between stable and beta versions of the app from the About view. The About view is accessible by clicking on the "cogwheel" icon on the top-right corner of the main app window and selecting "About". At the very bottom of the about window, you will be able to select the release channel using a drop-down menu.
NOTE: The "dev" channel is for early testing of newly developed features and is not recommended due to the high possibility of stability issues. For the best experience use the "stable" channel and only switch to "beta" if you wish to try new features before they are rolled out to the stable version of the app.
To start tracking time, click on the green "play" button. Click on the description field (left of the green "play" button) to add details to your time entry (project, description, etc).
An Autocomplete function will suggest words that you've previously typed in each time entry edit field.
The app can display each time entry individually or as time entry groups. You can enable/disable the “Group similar time entries” option on the Profile page in the web app and your selection will be applied to the desktop app as well. You can find more details about time entry grouping HERE.
Here's how you can expand grouped time entries:
Here's how you can start a running timer:
Adding Time Manually
You can also create a time entry in manual mode. This is particularly useful if you forgot to start the timer and want to add a time entry after the fact. To enable manual mode you need to click on the "cogwheel" button on the top-right corner of the main app window and select "Use manual mode" from the dropdown menu. Alternatively, you can use a keyboard shortcut by pressing Ctrl+D.
NOTE: When you are creating a time entry in manual mode you can choose to edit its duration only, or the start and stop times, and even allocate it to a different date from the time entry edit view.
- Click on the entry to open up the editing window.
- To save changes close editing window by clicking x (top right) or click on the desktop timer window.
- To add new projects click on the “Add new project” link.
- To delete a time entry click on "Delete" in the lower-left corner of the edit window. Or right-click on the entry > choose ‘Delete time entry’.
- To continue a time entry, click on the gray "play" button on the right side of an entry which shows up when you hover your mouse over each individual entry.
Editing a time entry:
Deleting a time entry:
Continuing a time entry:
Timer Screen Features
If your timer window is looking too cluttered, right-click on a time entry or a date and choose ‘Collapse all days’. The right-click also reveals an option to expand all entries or, if you right-click on a time entry, to delete that particular entry. You can also left-click on any individual date to collapse it.
To resize the app grab one of the edges with your mouse and drag it inwards or outwards. It basically works the same as with any other Windows app.
To display more time entries scroll to the bottom and click on the “Load More” button.
To open the Preferences section click on the cogwheel button on the top-right corner of the main app window and choose Preferences. You can also access this by right-clicking the Toggl Track icon inside the system tray or by using a keyboard shortcut Ctrl+, (Control and comma).
Preferences – General tab
You can choose if you want to use the app in light mode, dark mode or have it respect your Windows settings.
Set up shortcuts
You can set up custom shortcuts for showing/hiding the app, for continuing the latest time entry or stopping a currently running timer:
Set default project
You can choose a default project which will be selected every time you start a timer without a project. The search box will allow you to search existing projects from your workspace and select the one you want to have as default:
Use time-tracking helpers
The idle detection feature will notify you if your timer keeps running after you have stopped using your computer. The idle detection notification will popup after a custom number of minutes as set in your preferences.
After the notification has popped up, you can decide whether you want to keep the time or discard it. Here’s what it looks like:
- Keep time: Keep the timer running with no interruptions. This disregards the idle time and continues with your current time entry as though you never left.
- Discard time: Discards idle time, and stops the running timer from when you went idle.
- Discard time and continue: Discards the idle time, but starts a new time entry that matches the previously running timer so you can resume work.
- Add time as new time entry: Stops previously running timer, and adds idle time as a new time entry.
Allows users to use the Pomodoro technique to improve productivity. You can set up intervals for work (Pomodoro Timer) and break (Pomodoro Break Timer) and get notified when it's time to stop working or when the break time runs out.
Tick the ‘Pomodoro Timer’ option to enable it and set your preferred intervals for both work and break cycles.
When the Pomodoro notification shows up, clicking Continue at the end of a break cycle restarts the last time entry you were using. Clicking Continue at the end of a work cycle continues the running time entry.
If you enable this option, all websites and programs that you view for longer than 10 seconds will be recorded. You can learn more about this feature here. We hope to have the Timeline view available in the Windows desktop app soon!
Stop timer automatically
If this feature is enabled your running timer will be stopped automatically if your computer is put to sleep or shuts down.
Toggl Track Window Settings
Run Toggl Track application on Windows login
Enabling this feature will start the Toggl Track app every time you log into Windows automatically.
Keep Toggl Track on top of other windows
If this feature is enabled the Toggl Track app will always be on top of other windows you have open.
Time edit settings
You can choose what happens when you edit the start time of a time entry. You can select if you wish to modify the duration or change the end time automatically.
This option will clear all local data and log you out of the app. To avoid losing any time entries, make sure everything is synced first before you clear cache by checking for sync errors or exclamation marks next to your time entries. Clearing cache is helpful if you are having issues with the app's performance.
Preferences – Reminder tab
Under the Reminder tab you’re able to customize your tracking reminders. These reminders are triggered when the Toggl Track desktop app is running but there are no running entries. This tab allows you to set the days on which the reminders are active as well as the time of day when they can trigger.
Preferences – Autotracker Tab
Under the Autotracker tab you can define applications or keywords and projects they connect to.
If an application with the keyword is in the foreground it triggers the AutoTracker. When the tracker is triggered it shows you a notification and asks if you would like to track time under the project you chose. Keep in mind that the AutoTracker notification will only trigger if you do not have a timer already running.
Cogwheel Menu Options
- "New" starts a new running timer.
- "Continue" starts a new running timer based on the latest stopped time entry.
- "Stop" stops a currently running timer.
- "Sync" triggers a sync of data on demand.
- "Reports" opens Reports in the Toggl Track web app using your default browser.
- "Preferences" opens the preferences window.
- "Use manual mode" switches to manual mode for creating time entries.
- "Use mini timer" activates a mini timer, a small window with just a time description and start/stop button.
- "Toggl Track Tutorial" starts an overlay tutorial of the main features of the app, you can start the tutorial at any time and follow the steps to get familiar with the basics.
- "Send Feedback" opens up a feedback form allowing you to reach out if you have any feedback to share or if you are having an issue with the app.
- "Logout" logs you out of your current Toggl Track account
- "Quit" closes the app
Toggl Track desktop app sports several keyboard shortcuts for fast time entry:
- Ctrl-N creates a new time entry and displays Toggl Track window
- Ctrl-D changes between timer and manual mode
- Ctrl-S stops a running time entry
- Ctrl-O continues a previous time entry
- Ctrl-E open running entry in edit popup. This can also be used to immediately edit an Entry created with Ctrl-N.
- Ctrl-W minimize app to tray
- F5 - sync data
Also, there are context-specific shortcuts to make moving around inside the app easier:
Switching between timer and Time entry list
- SHIFT+DOWN – Focuses the Time entry list
- ESC – If the edit popup is opened it always closes the popup (event if the listing is focused). If edit popup is not opened and the entries list is focused it will switch the focus to Timer.
Moving within Time entries after you switch to them using above shortcuts
- UP/DOWN – switch between selected time entry
- ENTER – open the edit view of selected time entry
- SPACE – continue the selected time entry
- BACKSPACE – delete the selected time entry
- LEFT ARROW – collapses current day’s time entries (or the day you have navigated to)
- RIGHT ARROW – expands all time entries for the day (or the day you have navigated to)
- CTRL+LEFT ARROW – collapses all days
- CTRL+RIGHT ARROW – expands all days
Toggl Track desktop app is an open-source project. You’re welcome to help us by submitting pull requests, bug reports or feature requests to our Github page – https://github.com/toggl-open-source/toggldesktop
Have any more questions about Toggl Track desktop app for Windows? Feel free to contact our support team via email or chat. :)