Toggl Timer is a native app for Android designed to help you track time while on the move. It will sync instantly with your Toggl account allowing you to seamlessly switch between tracking on the phone and tracking on the web or desktop.
Before you start...
The app will prompt for a login when first opened. If you already have a Toggl account, enter the same credentials. If you forgot the password, use the password reset page to regain access to the account.
A Google account can be used for registering or for signing in. If you have an existing Toggl account but can't sign in with Google, please check whether Google sign-in is enabled by opening the Profile page. For more details on Google sign-in, open this article.
The Timer screen
After logging in you will see the default/main screen of the app - the Timer screen. From here you can initiate actions such as starting a time entry, stopping a time entry, etc.
The Timer screen is divided into three sections
- "Working on these" suggestions - short list of your most tracked activities. Tapping an entry will start the timer for that entry.
- The time entry log - chronological list of your time entries. Tapping an entry will open the Edit screen and allow you to modify it. Tapping the small "play" button on the right side of each entry will start a running timer based on that existing entry.
- Navigation bar - located at the bottom of the screen are navigation buttons allowing you to access reports, calendar, settings and go back to the timer page quickly from any area of the app.
Another important part of the Timer page is the green "play" button which is used to start a running timer, we will cover it more in detail in a dedicated section below.
Here are the most important buttons you will be running into on the timer page and the time entry creation/edit page and what their functions are:
The app also comes with two distinct swiping gestures on the Timer page. Both can be performed on existing time entries. They are
- Continuing a time entry (swipe from left-to-right)
- Deleting a time entry (swipe from right-to-left)
After a time entry is deleted an undo option appears at the bottom of the screen and is available for 5 seconds, just above the navigation bar:
Please be sure to use the "undo" option before it goes away, there are no other ways of reverting the delete action.
Creating time entries
This screen is opened after starting a new time entry by clicking on the green play button on the Timer page. The image in the above section outlines exactly what each button within the page does.
When writing the description you can use shortcuts to quickly insert projects or tags. Use @ to define a project or # to define a tag.
To change the duration or start time of your Entry tap the numbers in the bottom left area. This will open the Time Selector. You can read more about further down in this article.
When you're finished making changes tap the Save button in the top right corner. Alternatively, tap the X icon in the top left corner to discard the changes.
Editing time entries
This screen shows up when editing both running and finished (past) time entries. Tap a row to change a specific part of the entry. From top to bottom:
- Whether or not the Entry is Billable (available only on a Paid Workspaces)
- Start and stop times (opens the Time Selector)
- Duration (opens the Time Selector)
- Delete time entry
The Time Selector
Accessible when you create or edit an Entry, The Time Selector has three places that let you set the start time, stop time, and duration of an Entry. Tap on each value to edit it or adjust the start and end time of the timer entry by moving the "play" and "stop" buttons along the cripple.
By default, the timer will start as you create a new entry. You can turn on Manual Mode in the app’s Settings to prevent this from happening. This makes it easier for you to add time later on.
When Manual Mode is on, the green play icon on the Timer screen is replaced with a plus icon.
Access the Settings by tapping the cogwheel icon from the bottom navigation bar on the Timer screen.
From this section you can...
- Change the default workspace
- Select your preferred date format
- Set a different day as the first day of the week
- Select a duration format
- Select if you want to use a 12h or a 24h clock
- Turn on Manual mode
- Access calendar settings
- Turn on timer notifications
Running timer - displays an icon in the notification area whenever the timer is running
Stopped timer - displays an icon in the notification area as soon as you stop the timer. Serves as a reminder to start tracking again
- Submit feedback (contact Toggl Support)
- Get help by accessing our knowledge base
- Find out more about the app and our PP and ToS
- Sign out of the app
Open Reports by tapping the bar-chart icon from the bottom navigation bar on Timer screen:
Reports on mobile let you see a breakdown of your tracked Projects over a specific period of time. Please note that mobile reports are limited to your own personal time. For full workspace reports please log in to the web app.
By default, when you access Reports you will see data for the current week, tap on the dates shown on the top-left corer of the screen to change the date range using one of the preset date ranges or a custom date range. Tapping on the default date range a calendar tool will slide down along with the preset options:
From here you can...
- Swipe the calendar left or right to browse through the months of the year (swiping forward will not be possible if you are currently viewing the current month)
- Tap two different dates to set the start and stop of the Report period. Tapping on the same date twice will limit the period to one day
- At the bottom of the calendar is a horizontal list of presets that let you quickly specify a period of time. Swipe this left or right to look through all the presets, and Tap on any of them to apply it
- Tap below the dropdown to hide the calendar or swipe up.
Note: Reports do not include time entries that are currently running.
To access the Calendar tap on the calendar icon within the bottom navigation bar:
When you access the calendar for the first time you will be asked if you'd like to link one of your calendars with the Toggl app or if you'd like to skip that for now. If you choose the skip linking one of your calendars you will only be able to see your existing time entries in a calendar view for the current day, a sort of a single day timeline with blocks of time colored by each time entry:
If you choose to get the most out of the Calendar feature you should definitely link up one of your calendars with the Toggl app, even if you skipped this step the first time around the "link calendars" option is still available on the top-right corner of your screen as seen in the above screenshot.
Clicking the "link calendars" button will open a popup allowing you to choose which calendar(s) you'd like to sync with the app with check-boxes next to them. Select the one(s) you wish to link and tap on "done" at the bottom of the screen.
After you link up your selected calendar(s) you will get a split view showing you a split view between the events in your calendar and your existing time entries. Tapping on an event in the calendar will create a time entry and immediately show it on the right side. When you go back to the timer page the new entry will be shown there as well.
If you wish to un-link your linked calendar(s) or link another one you can do that from the settings page by accessing Calendar settings:
When you access calendar settings you will again be able to turn of the link and see the list of available calendars you can link up with your Toggl app:
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm an existing user, why aren't there any entries on my Timer screen?
To keep syncing on mobile as stable as possible the app will pull only data from within 10 days of your last login. You might not see any data in the app if you haven't tracked time for a while. Open Detailed reports in the web app to review your past time entries.
How do I make changes to my projects from the mobile app?
Project management features aren't available in the Android app. You can create projects, but can't edit them. To edit your projects connect to the Toggl web app and visit the Projects page. All your projects can be modified from there.