Toggl Desktop for Windows is a native Windows application that can be installed on your computer. It works seamlessly with the web version of Toggl, syncing data on the fly. Toggl Desktop works also offline. It stores data locally and sends it to the Toggl server once you’re back online.
Toggl Desktop is automatically installed to the user directory so that it can be used without admin privileges. The app cannot be installed inside the Program Files directory. Window 7 or higher is required.
- Click on Start button to start tracking time.
- Click on the description field (left of the Start button) to add details to your time entry (project, description, etc).
- An Autocomplete function will suggest words that you've previously typed. It works in all time entry edit fields.
- The app can display each time entry individually or as time entry groups. Enable/disable the “Group similar time entries” option on the Profile page. More details about time entry grouping.
Adding Time Manually
- Click on the cogwheel menu icon and choose “Use manual mode”.
- Click on the entry to open up the editing window.
- To save changes close editing window from x (top right) or click on desktop timer window.
- To add new projects click on the “Add new project” link.
- To delete a time entry click on the trashcan icon in the lower right corner of the edit window. Or right click on the entry > choose ‘Delete time entry’.
- To continue a time entry, click on the gray arrow next to the time entry.
Timer Screen Features
- If your timer window is looking too cluttered, right-click on a time entry and choose ‘Collapse all days’. The right click also reveals an option to expand all entries or to delete that particular entry. Click here to see a GIF of this in action.
- Use the drag-and-drop function to rearrange your data and move an entry under a different date. Please note that this method can only be used for moving time entries – time entry groups can’t be dragged-and-dropped. Click here to see drag and drop in action.
- To resize the app grab one of the edges with your mouse and drag it inwards or outwards. It basically works the same as with any other Windows app.
- To display more time entries scroll to the bottom and click on the “Load More” button.
To open the Preferences section click on the cogwheel menu icon and choose Preferences. You can also access the area by right-clicking the Toggl icon inside the system tray.
Preferences – General tab
Idle detection: Get notified of the time that you’ve been inactive/away from the keyboard. The notification will popup after an X number of minutes as set in your preferences.
After the notification has popped up, you can decide whether you want to keep the time or discard it. Here’s what it looks like:
The popup has four options for you to choose from:
- Keep time: Keep the timer running with no interruptions. This disregards the idle time and continues with your current time entry as though you never left.
- Discard time: Discards idle time, and stops the running timer from when you went idle.
- Add time as new time entry: Stops previously running timer, and adds idle time as a new time entry.
- Discard time and continue: Discards the idle time, but starts a new time entry that matches the previously running timer so you can resume work.
Pomodoro timer: Allows users to use the Pomodoro Technnique to improve productivity. You can setup intervals for work (Pomodoro Timer) and break (Pomodoro Break Timer) cycles, and get notified when it's time to stop working or when the break time runs out.
Tick the ‘Pomodoro Timer’ option to enable it and set your preferred intervals for both work and break cycles.
Clicking Continue at the end of a break cycle restarts the last time entry you were using. Clicking Continue at the end of a work cycle continues the running time entry.
Record timeline: If you tick this option, all websites and programs that you view for longer than 10 seconds will be recorded. You can learn more about this feature here. We hope to have this available in the desktop app soon!
Keep Toggl on top of other windows – orders the desktop app to appear always on top.
Keyboard shortcuts section enables you to record the preferred keyboard combination to customize your workflow.
Default project setting – pick one project that you use the most. This project will be automatically filled in each time you start a time-entry without a project. If needed you can still change the project for both running and stopped time-entries.
Change duration when changing start time – choose if you’d prefer the duration to be preserved when editing your data.
Preferences – Proxy Tab
Under the Proxy tab you can configure proxy settings if you happen to be behind a proxy.
If you tick the ‘Use system proxy settings’ checkbox, Toggl Desktop will use the same proxy settings you have set up for your system.
Preferences – AutoTracker Tab
Under the Autotracker tab you can define applications or keywords and projects they connect to.
If an application with the keyword is in the foreground it triggers the AutoTracker. When the tracker is triggered it shows you a notification and asks if you would like to track time under the project you chose.
Preferences – Reminder Tab
Under the Reminder tab you’re able to customize your tracking reminders. These reminders are triggered when the Toggl Desktop app is running but there are no running entries. This tab allows you to set the days on which the reminders are active as well as the time of day when they can trigger.
Cogwheel Menu Options
- Use mini timer – enables a persistent mini timer that displays information about the time entry currently running. The mini timer will always be on top of all other windows.
- Sync – to manually force syncing. It’s needed if there’s trouble with the live sync. If not, the app syncs itself automatically within seconds.
- Reports – the link will take you to your Summary Report in the web app.
- Clear Cache – this comes in handy when the local database has become corrupt or has some erroneous data in it. This can happen when application upgrade fails, computer has suddenly crashed or computer hard disk is faulty or full. Please note that before clicking on Clear Cache it’s important to check if all your time entries have been saved to webapp.
- Send Feedback – this is a great way to reach Toggl Support team straight from the app. Don’t hesitate to use it to report issues, submit questions or feedback.
- The About link – gives you information about which desktop app version you’re using. From the About pop up window you’re also able to switch to developer’s or beta channel.
- Logout – logs the user out and sends you back to the log in page.
- Quit – use to exit the application; you’re able to continue your session without having to log in.
Toggl Desktop sports several keyboard shortcuts for fast time entry:
- Ctrl-N creates a new time entry and displays Toggl Desktop window
- Ctrl-D changes between timer and manual mode
- Ctrl-S stops a running time entry
- Ctrl-O continues a previous time entry
- Ctrl-E open running entry in edit popup. This can also be used to immediately edit an Entry created with Ctrl-N.
- Ctrl-W minimise app to tray
- Ctrl-R sync data
- Ctrl-V (when no text-box is focused) start timer with clipboard text as description
Also there are context-specific shortcuts to make moving around inside the app more easy:
Switching between timer and Time entry listing
- SHIFT+DOWN – Focuses the Time entry listing
- ESC – If the edit popup is opened it always closes the popup (event if listing is focused). If edit popup is not opened and entries list is focused it will switch the focus to Timer.
Moving inside Time entries listing
- UP/DOWN – switch between selected time entry
- ENTER – open the edit view of selected time entry
- SPACE – continue the selected time entry
- BACKSPACE – delete the selected time entry
- LEFT ARROW – collapses current day’s time entries
- RIGHT ARROW – opens all time entries for the day
- SHIFT+LEFT ARROW – collapses all days
- SHIFT+RIGHT ARROW – expands all days
Toggl Desktop is an open source project. You’re welcome to help us by submitting pull requests, bug reports or feature requests to our Github page – https://github.com/toggl-open-source/toggldesktop